Allen A. & Dorothy Belle Dickey Scholarship
Allen A. Dickey was born in 1919 in Weston County on Kokesh Ranch north of Upton, Wyoming. He attended school until the 8th grade.
Allen married Dorothy Belle McClain, a native of Rocky Point, Wyoming, on August 1, 1939.
During World War II, Allen was stationed at the Casper Air Base. After the war he and Dorothy returned to Rocky Point, purchased the ranch from Dorothy’s parents and ranched until the spring of 1984 when they retired and moved to Upton, WY. Even after retiring, Allen continued to work for Don Kokesh on the ranch where he was born. Dorothy and Allen shared 67 years of marriage and during that time they both enjoyed traveling throughout the United States, snowmobiling and motorcycles.
Dorothy passed away November 17, 2006 and Allen passed away on March 3, 2011. They did not have any children but they had numerous nieces and nephews, great nieces and nephews and even a great -great-great nephew. Allen left the scholarship for graduates of Weston County to the Beta Sigma Phi Sorority, an organization dedicated to “Life”, “Learning”and “Friendship.” The Sorority continues to be responsible for reviewing student applications and recommending awards.
ABOUT THIS SCHOLARSHIP:
- Amounts distributed are $5,000 and or $2,500 for one-academic year
- Specific to graduates of Weston County high schools and GED recipients of Weston County that wish to attend a Wyoming community college of the University of Wyoming
- First preference goes to those pursuing degrees in agriculture and nursing, but all areas of study are considered
- Applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5
- Upload your most recent transcript to the online application
- Financial need must be demonstrated by completing the Financial Aid Affidavit on the application
- Deadline date is February 15th
- This is a one-year scholarship but students may reapply
- In addition, an essay is required as stated on the online application
- Funds are paid directly to the accredited institution and not to the individual
- This scholarship may be accepted in addition to other awards
- Students must maintain enrollment full-time through each semester