About this scholarship
The purpose of the Path-Away Scholarship Fund is to support graduating high school seniors of any Albany County high school who wish to further their education at either an accredited four-year state college/university or other accredited four year private/nonprofit college outside the state of Wyoming. The Selection Advisory Committee gives first preference to students who have qualified for the highest level of Wyoming’s Hathaway Scholarship but who wish to attend school out of state. However, all graduating seniors of an Albany County high school who qualify for any level of Hathaway funds but wishes to attend school out of state will be considered.
- Honors- Minimum 3.5 GPA and 25 ACT is required and Curriculum to Quality, listed below.
- Performance- Minimum 3.0 GPA and 21 ACT is required and Curriculum to Qualify, listed below.
- Opportunity- Minimum 2.5 GPA and 19 ACT is required and Curriculum to Qualify, listed below.
Curriculum to Qualify
- 4 years’ math
- 4 years English
- 4 years’ science including any of the following
- 3 years of social studies (5 content areas must be covered in 3 years)
- 2 years of sequence foreign language
Who is eligible?
Any graduate of an Albany County high school, excluding GED recipients.
What is the amount of the scholarship?
- $5,000 for Honors-level Hathaway eligibility
- $3,230 for Performance-level Hathaway eligibility
- $2,210 for Opportunity-level Hathaway eligibility
What is the length of the scholarship?
Scholarship recipients must complete a renewal form every year
Essay questions and additional materials:
Essay answers should be between 2,000 and 3,000 characters. Aim for a response that is no fewer than 500 words long.
If you could change one thing about high school what would it be, and why?
There are many relevant social topics – guns, public safety, #MeToo, race & equity, environmental concerns to name a few -that will shape our community, state, and nation. Choose one that you find so engaging that it makes you want to learn more and/take action. Why does it motivate you? What or who do you turn to when you want to learn more?